The Real Thing Ester-C® Combo and Ester-C® 60s
Ester-C® Combo is an extra-potent, esterified form of vitamin C, blended with organic sea vegetables, citrus bioflavonoids, spirulina and selenium. Five immune-boosting ingredients. Five weapons of mass protection.
GET THE SPECS
- Kelp and rockweed
- Citrus bioflavonoids
What? It’s a unique patented formula, produced through a chemical reaction that esterifies ascorbic acid, or vitamin C.
So what? Yes, it functions like vitamin C biologically, but the Ester-C® version is absorbed around 400 times quicker and won’t irritate the stomach. And that’s not all that makes it special.
FACT: A double-blind, placebo-controlled study published in Advances in Therapy in 2002 found that Ester-C® led to fewer colds, fewer days of viral infection and a quicker recovery from severe symptoms. Nice.
WHAT’S SPECIAL ABOUT ESTER-C®?
- IT’S MORE EASILY ABSORBED. A few hours after taking Ester-C®, blood levels are twice as high as they would be after regular vitamin C. Plus the loss of ascorbate by urine is a massive six-times lower. More in, less out.
- IT’S MORE BIOAVAILABLE. A comprehensive study from the University of California confirmed that Ester-C®’s high concentration of the vitamin C metabolite calcium threonate effectively increases its absorption even further. And further than 400 times faster is pretty fast.
- IT’S SIDE-EFFECT FREE. Regular vitamin C is acidic (why do you think it’s also called acscorbic acid?). And that’s why it can be associated with heartburn, stomach irritation and even damage to tooth enamel. But not pH-neutralised Ester-C®. In a 2006 study published in Advances in Therapy, acid-sensitive people were given 1g of either Ester-C® or regular vitamin C. The result? Heartburn was “significantly more frequent and severe” after taking the regular kind. That’s not so hot.
- IT LASTS ALL DAY. Ester-C® is not only absorbed faster, it’s also retained in the body's white blood cells for up to 24 hours. That’s anti-oxidation around the clock.
HOW DOES ESTER-C® HELP YOU?
- IMMUNE BOOST. A 2007 clinical study confirmed that Ester-C® enhances immunity by increasing ascorbic acid levels in white blood cells for up to 24 hours after the initial dose.
- ANTI-INFECTION. Research has shown that Ester-C® cuts the incidence of the common cold. It also reduces the number of days of viral infection and severe symptoms.
- ANTI-OXIDATION. Ester-C® helps strengthen cell membranes and shields the body from free-radical damage. Plus it comes with anti-inflammatory action.
- PRO-HEART HEALTH. Its antioxidant action has even bigger cardiovascular benefits. Ester-C® protects good HDL cholesterol molecules from oxidative damage and helps to balance blood pressure levels.
- PRO-COLLAGEN. It promotes collagen production, which the body uses to build cartilage, bones, skin, ligaments, tendons, blood vessels, teeth and gums.
- PRO-HEALING. Great for maintenance and mending, Ester-C® has been found to help promote wound healing and connective tissue repair.
2. KELP AND ROCKWEED
What? Sea vegetables are nutritional royalty. In fact, they’re the most nutrient-dense plants on the planet.
What else? Our Icelandic kelp and Norwegian rockweed are organically grown and specially harvested. The perfect nutritional and immune pedigree.
HE SAID IT:
“There is no family of foods more protective against radiation and environmental pollutants than sea vegetables... [They] can prevent assimilation of different radionucleotides, heavy metals such as cadmium, and other environmental toxins.” From Fighting Radiation with Foods, Herbs and Vitamins by Steven Schecter, N.D.
WHAT’S IN THEM?
- An easily absorbed array of essential nutrients – some of them rare.
- Various vitamins
- Minerals – they contain 10 to 20 times more minerals than land plants, including sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron and trace minerals
- Antioxidants, like chlorophyll and carotenes
- Vegetable protein
- Amino acids
HOW DO THEY HELP?
- PRO-IMMUNITY. Sea greens are great for immune-compromised states like chronic fatigue, HIV/Aids, arthritis and allergies. They also come with anti-inflammatory effects.
- ANTI-INFECTION. They have antiviral, antimicrobial, and antifungal properties. They help stop herpes outbreaks and give the thyroid a hand in releasing iodine into the bloodstream to fight infection. A 2005 study also found that a kelp preparation acted as an effective vaccine against disease-causing fungi like Candida albicans.
- PRO-DETOXIFICATION. Both kelp and rockweed contain sodium alginate – a totally safe substance known for detoxifying effects, anti-tumour properties and a talent for counteracting nuclear radiation. Kelp also contains mucilaginous (read: gooey) compounds that help the digestive system do its detoxing and eliminating work.
- ANTI-CANCER. Sea greens contain powerful antioxidant and anticancer properties that could halt the proliferation of malignant cells. Studies from the Harvard School of Public Health show that a diet containing 5% kelp can help to inhibit cancer.
- PRO-THYROID HEALTH. Glands like the adrenals, pituitary and thyroid all need iodine to produce hormones. And sea veggies have organic iodine in volumes. That’s what makes them great glandular balancers – particularly the production of the thyroid hormone that influences metabolism, growth and energy production.
- PRO-CIRCULATION. Sea greens strengthen the circulatory system and give tone and elasticity to blood vessel walls. Japanese studies from the 1960s show that sea green extracts help to control high blood pressure and dissolve fatty deposits, even in animals fed a high cholesterol diet.
- PRO-WEIGHT LOSS. Kelp improves glandular and metabolic function leading to reduced fat stores and fluid retention.
- PRO-PRETTY. Seaweeds support the skin by providing the essential and non-essential amino acids found in elastic fibres. Other compounds found in kelp also form a protective and moisturising barrier on the skin.
What? It’s an ancient, single-celled, blue-green algae. Full name: Spirulina platensis. Age: +- 3.5-billion years old. Occupation: one of the world’s most nutrient-packed substances.
What else? Our spirulina is grown locally, organically and very carefully. That’s why it’s particularly nutritious and immune-fuelling.
FACT: Spirulina has more of everything. It has three times more protein than meat, milk or eggs, 20 times more beta-carotene than carrots, 250 times more vitamin B12 than liver and around 12 times more iron than, well, anything else.
WHAT’S IN IT?
- PHYCOCYANIN. It puts the blue in the blue-green algae. This blue pigment acts as an immune-stimulant, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. It helps prevent nerve damage, oxidation, liver disease and arthritis. Plus it’s regulates white blood cell production and stimulates bone marrow stem cells to make red blood cells – even if the bone marrow has been damaged by radiation or toxins.
- PROTEIN AND AMINO ACIDS. Compromised immune systems are hungry for the amino acids cysteine, glutamine and tryptophan. Spirulina serves them all, and many others. In fact, it’s 62% pure amino acids. So it’s a great source of high-quality vegan protein – with three times more protein than meat, eggs or milk.
- VITAMINS. Everything from vitamin A, the Bs, C, E, and H. It’s also considered the richest natural source of vitamin B12.
- ANTIOXIDANTS. The free-radical scavenging is done by spirulina’s chlorophyll, and carotenoids like beta-carotene beta-cryptoxanthin and zeaxanthin.
- GAMMA LINOLEIC ACID (GLA). A fabulous fatty acid that helps reduce cholesterol levels. Spirulina has around three times more of it than evening primrose oil.
- TRACE ELEMENTS AND MINERALS. Among others, it’s got calcium, iron, magnesium, chromium, copper, zinc and immune-friendly selenium.
HOW DOES IT HELP?
- ANTI-INFECTION. It’s been shown to work against bacteria like E. coli and Staphylococcus aureus, and viruses like human cytomegalovirus, measles, mumps, influenza and Herpes Simplex Type I.
- PRO-IMMUNITY. Spirulina is very well-used in immune-deficient diseases like HIV/AIDS. It’s a clinically proven immune tool – one study presented at the 30th annual meeting of the Japanese Society for Immunology in 2000, showed a significant increase in immunity after only two weeks on a spirulina extract. The effect continued for up to six months after the extract was stopped.
- PRO-BIOTIC. It feeds the growth of beneficial lactic-acid bacteria, which can be depleted after a course of antibiotics.
4. CITRUS BIOFLAVONOIDS
What? They’re found in citrus fruits (who would’ve thought) like lemon, orange, tangerine and grapefruit. They have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic effects.
What else? Citrus bioflavonoids are essential for vitamin C absorption. They also amp up the vitamin’s action and protect it from oxidation. That’s why they made the cut into The Real Thing Ester-C®.
FACT: The citrus bioflavonoids in The Real Thing Ester-C® Combo are reinforced by antioxidant rosehips. The result? Even better absorption of vitamin C. If that’s possible.
HOW DO THEY HELP?
- ANTI-INFECTION, INFLAMMATION and ALLERGIES. As far back as the 1950s citrus bioflavonoids were found to improve acute respiratory infections (like colds, flu and tonsillitis) in only eight to 48 hours. They can also help reduce inflammation, swelling and allergic reactions.
- PRO-HEALING. A well-known 1962 study showed that athletes who took a citrus bioflavonoid supplement seldom suffered cramps and had fewer muscle injuries than placebo takers. Plus their injuries healed twice as fast.
- ANTI-OXIDATION. They work synergistically with vitamin C to protect the body from free radicals.
- PRO-CIRCULATION. Bioflavonoids can help smooth out circulatory problems. They’ve been found to support capillaries and veins and improve chronic venous insufficiency. Plus they’re used to help treat haemorrhoids, easy bruising and high cholesterol.
WHAT MAKES ESTER-C THE REAL THING?
- What we put in. Only the purest, 100% natural ingredients.
- What we don’t put in. No binders, fillers, colourants, flavourants, preservatives, tableting aids or additives of any kind.
- How it’s grown. Our sea vegetables and spirulina are 100% organic and all other ingredients are extracted from natural sources.
- How it’s made. Produced according to GMP and HACCP standards and regulations.
HOW DO YOU TAKE IT?
For maintenance, take 2 tablets daily. For infection or an immune-compromised state, take 3 tablets, three times daily, or consult your health practitioner.